Friday, April 24, 2009

Middle School Here We Come!

Last night Ryan and I accompanied James to an open house at the middle school. He'd attended and orientation most of the school day yesterday. He was quite impressed. The highlights? Better choices at lunch and 28 computers in the library which was otherwise a bit light on books. As we walked around with him there was an almost constant barrage of, "Hi, James!" from an infinite variety of girls. He barely answered with, "Hey." He's so cool! He's super calm and collected and walks with confidence. He discusses his academic pursuits and opportunities at middle school like a young adult headed to college. We're just beginning to wrap our minds around the idea of him growing up. He's super brilliant, in the gifted program and looking forward to branching out on some of his own personal pursuits. He dreams of designing a hover car. He watches the news with interest and thinks about stuff like getting out of debt and home management. Recently he has become our main babysitter. He handles it like a pro! He never balks at diaper changes and feedings. He can get Benji to sleep and keep the other kids happy too. He can do simple light microwave cooking and knows CPR. He's always been a forward thinker and has a brilliant future ahead. I just don't want it to come too fast. Middle school was my very LEAST favorite years. The social pressures are tremendous! I want to protect James from it all but I don't want to deprive him of the chance to grow through trial. Homeschooling will always be an option but I think I'll wait until it's absolutely necessary. Hopefully it will never come to that and things will all go smoothly. I'm sure that James is more ready for it all than I am. Growing pains are soooo hard! When will I be done with them?! I sometimes feel that I'm not quite fully grown into motherhood . . . despite the five kids! ;0)

1 comment:

Holli said...

James going to middle school?!? That's crazy. I think I was in middle school when he was born! Wow. But, you know, I betcha James handles it well. He's a strong person and a lovely human being.