Always on my mind is preparing for various things. . . The inevitable melt down of my toddler, the fidgeting needs of my autistic son, the time between opportunities to pump (still lactating but not nursing!) and all the various responsibilities of motherhood, etc. Lately though, with the world in turmoil over various crises, I find my mind turning to more disaster type preparedness. I've been gathering supplies and looking up lists and watching for sales. The current goal is a complete 72 hour kit for everyone in my family. That is to say, a single backpack for each family member containing everything that family member will need for 72 hours. The limits of a backpack will not allow for luxury, no air mattress, no curling irons, etc. There'll be no three course meals to linger over. There's no magic list or kit that will work for all people equally. The kits you can buy come with a lot but look closely and you'll find it lacking many of the things you'll want. For example, it has no clothing, minimal toiletries and the entertainment is lacking for sure. I plan to make our own. I plan to cover all the bases and be thorough. The best deal so far is the $5.00 backpacks at Walmart. They're on sale down from $15.00. They're nice with good padding and large compartments and come in bright colors. I just need to fill them up! I'm working off a few lists of suggested items. The
LDS website covers the topic well as does the government and red cross websites. I found a local red cross site that goes into detail about my county. It shares my area's community preparedness and what disasters I need to watch out for as well as what specific items are suggested. I can really tailor my packs with these lists. I'm also going to go over past vacation packing lists and think hard about each of my children and their various needs/interests. I don't want them to be freaking out in a disaster and a few creature comforts will really help. I also don't want to forget our pets. I found a disaster kit that I actually bought for our two cats. It comes complete with a pet first aid kit, dry pack food that lasts stored for five years, collapsible food and water bowls, poop scoop bags, emergency blankets and even toys! Worth the cost on the whole! It all comes in a convenient bucket with handle. My new mud room has the perfect shelf to store all this stuff. It's up high but not completely out of reach and right by the back door. Once I have everyones individual bags packed, I plan to add memory cards with photos and important documents to each bag. There are so many things to think about! I think perhaps a cheep cell phone? money? Lists of phone numbers and addresses of places we might meet up? It goes on and on!?! Will I ever feel totally prepared? Probably not, but I will put my available energy on the task until the anxiety passes. At some point the promise must be held true. . . If I'm prepared, I shall not fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment