Sunday, September 6, 2009

Hormones & IUDs....

I know, very personal right? Well, that's what's on my mind tonight... so, sorry... don't read on if you can't take it....
I am, much to my chagrin, a hormonal person. Yeah, I know, I'm not supposed to admit it... but, darn it, I am. I am easily teared up by Hallmark movies and can get hot mad over finding my chocolate stash gone. I'm not proud of it but, thems the breaks. Why did I ever think an addition of a powerful hormone that I can't adjust would be a good idea for me?!? What was I thinking?!?
If you've been following my story, you know that about 11 months ago, I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy and the IUD that should have made it impossible for my baby Benji to come. My IUD was in the right place according to the ultrasound tech, it just didn't stop me from getting pregnant as it should have for no good reason. Getting pregnant was therefore, quite a shocker. After getting over the shock, I was thrilled at the prospect of another baby. Benji has been a complete delight and I'm thrilled to have him... wouldn't change a thing.
Clearly, IUD (non-hormone) kind, wasn't the right birth control for me.... What to do? What to do?
Abstinence was never an option...
Condoms are OK, never hand a problem there...
Don't care for the pill... don't like the responsibility of daily remembering...
Well, we had to do something...
I decided to get another IUD, this time the one with hormones. The idea of not having a period sounded great...
Eight months later......
I felt like a crazy person.... depressed... lethargic... emotional... grumpy... tired... no libido... hungry all the time... constant light period... generally uncomfortable in my own skin...
Finally it occurred to me... I have a hormone coursing through my body that I have no control over. There's no adjusting the dose, no easy switch to a different brand. I began to feel like I had a monster inside of me controlling everything. I decided to get the IUD taken out, thereby killing my inner monster.
The procedure was painful. The doctor wished he could talk me out of it... I had a huge period after it came out.
Now after a few weeks, I feel great! I'm my old self again. I have energy, I can laugh again! And hello Libido, nice to have you around!
I tell you, I'd rather be pregnant than feel that messed up! At least the unpleasant things about being pregnant result in something quite wonderful for all the suffering, a beautiful baby. That IUD was definitely not doing me any favors.
Right now, I am hormone free and IUD free. I plan to keep it that way for some time to come. I may eventually get on a mini pill. Something I can adjust and change if things aren't going well. For now I feel liberated, like the gals that burned their bras in the 60s! LOL!

1 comment:

Holli said...

Oh Kristie, I HEAR YA!!! I had the exact same experience, plus a LOT of weight gain. I'm so relieved you got it out and didn't wait as long as I did.