Friday, November 28, 2008
Thanksgiving Day!
We had a fabulous Thanksgiving. The food was filling and the company divine. My plan to keep our minds off of missing traditions past filled with family fun was successful. This year I was inspired to invite a family over to celebrate with us. They moved into our area about 6 weeks ago. Their family and traditions are far from here. They would have had their first lonely and too quiet holiday. Having had a number of too quiet holidays, I thought I'd try something new this year. Having them over would give focus to our plans and distraction for everyone. We split the food assignments. . . sooo nice not to have to cook it all! I planned our food well in that it was all done on time. Unfortunately everything seemed a bit dry. Dry turkey, dry stuffing, dry bread. No one seemed to mind. We enjoyed the adult conversation and had little interruption from the kids as they were all busy making friends and playing. A good time was had by all. A new friendship was formed. We had even more to be thankful for. It was a lot more like the holiday I remember from childhood than it would have been if we were all alone having a nearly ordinary day. I'm grateful I followed that inspiration. I do miss my family and hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving. Perhaps in future holidays, timing and finances will permit us to travel and give our children a taste of our traditions by celebrating with family. I'm definately feeling grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ah, Kris, I missed you guys terribly. But, I'm glad to hear that all was well in Arizona.
On another note, Kyle made the turkey for his family this year and it was the moistest thing. We figured out the trick... prepare a brine for the turkey and then soak it for 12 hours. Then take it out of the brine when its time to cook, pat it dry, and bake it covered in foil.
Also, if you cook the stuffing in the turkey, it seems to be a bit more moist.
Those are hints we found handy last year. Maybe they will help next year -- that is unless you'd like to come to Texas!
Sounds like you had fun. I'm going to be up next weekend. I hope to see you!
Hope to see you guys. Call me and we'll get the big Ben's together!
Post a Comment