Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Allergies!!!!!

OK, so I've known about my allergies for a few years now. I've even become accustomed to taking daily meds for it. I have a new allergist who is more conservative and has changed my med plan. I take daily zertec and keep an arsenal of other stuff to use only when my symptoms are bad.....
Well, lately, I've been sick of sitting around and avoiding the outside parts of life. I happened to meet the gal in charge of our high school's color guard (flagging). She happened to mention it one day and I shared how much I had enjoyed color guard in high school. She asked if I'd like to be involved...... Would I ever!!! A chance to do something for fun, just for me, just 'cause I like it..... Heck yeah! Where do I sign up!?!
I had to get fingerprinted and fill out all this stuff to be allowed to work with kids at school as a volunteer. I'm serious about this now... I really want to do this. It's fun and I really need something to get me energized lately....
OK, so I go to the first two practices of the school year.... Two hours twice a week isn't too much right? The kids were fine... I was fine..... right?
Wrong! Friday, the day I found out Mom was in the hospital, I broke out into major welts. I took my arsenal of drugs and felt better Saturday... sort of... Sunday morning, I woke up with lips that looked like I'd had bad collagen injections.... not good... close to airway.... not pretty for church either.... took more drugs... slept off what I could of said drugs and went to church with voluptuous lips.... by the end of church, they were back to normal. Tuesday, time to go to practice again... it's windy, I'm out of one of my stronger meds..... I called in allergic. Bummer! Hate being controlled by my allergies! I'm off the hook this week and I'm going through the channels of contacting my doc about a different management plan and hoping that by next Tuesday, I can get back out there for more fun. In the meantime, I'm just feeling bummed about this! What's wrong with my wonky body anyway! I WILL NOT LET THIS CONTROL MY LIFE!!!!!!!!! But I have to be reasonable and not put myself at too much risk. I definitely do not want to end up in the ICU again with anaphylactic shock! Apparently my allergies are autoimmune and there's not much I can do about it but just stay on meds..... Oh, well..... I suppose it could be worse!

No comments: