Yesterday, I received an automated call from the school.... These are always interesting. They start with something like "I have an important announcement from your school...." I always listen. Lately it's been about the flu, sometimes it's a schedule change, sometimes the weather. I was very shocked when I heard this....
"This is a notice to inform you that comments at Lake View Elementary have been made that can be perceived as a threat to our school. We have kept the police involved since the beginning. We want to make sure that we error in the side of caution and that all the students are safe. Lake View Elementary will have a Soft Lock Down on Friday, September 11, 2009. School will be conducted inside locked doors from the beginning of school until the end of the day. The police will make periodic walk throughs to provide extra support. Students will not be released early nor will visitors be allowed in school. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call."
What?!! My gut reaction is.... No Way is My Kid Gonna Be There For That!!! I immediately called my friend here to discuss the issue. After that, I felt a bit differently. I felt, I didn't want to give in to bullies, I didn't want to let this whole situation disrupt the learning process, I didn't want to give in to fear. As the day went on, I continued to consider the situation. When my kids came home from school, I discussed the situation with them. They were a little scared but ready to go to school anyway. Through the rest of the day, I ran into other people who gave me more details about the situation. The more I heard, the worse I felt about sending my kids to school.
The story is that there's an angry parent, hooked on meth, fresh out of jail. He's been escalating in anger since the beginning of the school year. He had to be escorted out of school by police on Friday. He was very angry about the school address by President Obama. On his way out, he muttered something threatening about 9/11. It was overheard by the secretary. Just in case, the school is doing a Soft Lock down.
OK. So, I'm not interested in my kids being a martyr to the cause. I don't want to take any chances. I don't want to send them into danger. I contacted a few other friends and discussed the issue. Five out of six of them were planning to keep their kids home. Some were angry, some were scared, some were simply frustrated. In the end, my husband and I have to decide what we must do. What is our policy in this situation?
If the school is communicating to me that today is a less than safe day... less safe than the average day, what should my response to that be? If the school has a policy for safety, what's mine? In the end, we decided that our safety policy is not to go to school on a day that we know is less safe than usual. I'm not a big supporter of ditching. I'm a rule follower. This was not an easy decision. It was difficult to explain to the kids. I was nervous to call the school this morning and tell them, I wouldn't be sending kids to them today. Ultimately, I have to be responsible for my kid's safety. I can't send them into danger, even if it's just a case of being cautious. Most likely nothing will happen. But why take the risk? Is perfect attendance that important? If something had happened, and I'd sent my kids to school, how would I have felt?
When we lived in Kayenta, there were a lot of bomb threats. The school would go on lock down frequently, at least twice a month. Those lock downs didn't start until the school day was already in place. The kids would have terrible day on those days, nothing the same, late lunch, no teaching, bored. There was nothing I could do to get my kids out of that situation. In lock down, you can't get into the school to get your kids. There was no decision for me to make. If I had known in advance, I wouldn't have sent my kids on those days.
We prayed about it last night and felt good about our decision. Today is a "home school" day. My kids will read, do math and do chores. It isn't a play day. There's no glamor is skipping. If there's an opening at the dental clinic, we may go get dental check ups. We may go get flu shots. At any rate, they'll be at home, safe with me.
Today, of all days, is a good day to be safe.
Solo una bandera 1951 Descargar Película Completa Gratis
-
[hd-1080p] Solo una bandera (1951) Película completa en español latino mega
videos líñea, ver Película el Red Mountain 1951 completa en español latino,
ver...
6 years ago
2 comments:
Oh Kristie, that's ridiculous. Amazing how one person can affect a whole community. I think you made the right decision. A person addicted to meth is unpredictable and should not be trusted. I just wonder if that family making the threats got word via automated phone call about the plan to lock-down the school? It would be counterproductive to alert the perpretrator.
Nothing ended up happening.... Over 200 children skipped school that day. The police are monitoring the situation.... We'll go to school as usual tomorrow.
Post a Comment