Yesterday afternoon, I received two thrilling phone calls. The first was from the person handling Westley's case trying to qualify him for the benefits that would pay for all his therapy. She informed me after a few direct, confirming questions, that she was qualifying him for the program. Yea!!!
Apparently, his case had gone all the way to the top and had been reviewed by a board. Not all cases go that far. I'm not sure why his case had to go through all that but I'm delighted they made the right choice. Now all his medical expenses are free to us and he'll not be limited in therapy services. What a huge relief!! What a blessing!!! I feel so
grateful!!!! The second call was from Westley's service coordinator from
DDD (Division of Developmental Disabilities). She wanted to make an appointment with me to develop his
IFSP (Individual Family Service Plan). She comes next week! This is the meeting that determines what therapies will be provided in our home, how often it will occur, etc. I'm not sure how much time will pass after that before we'll see the first therapist. Yea! Finally something will be done to help him! I so hoped this would all occur at a faster rate so he'd get therapy all summer and be ready for school. Thanks to the bureaucracies that govern these programs, that didn't exactly happen. However, it's the very same bureaucracies that make helping West possible. He'll always be in these programs the rest of his life unless he shows us he no longer needs them. In the grand scheme of it all waiting three months for it to get started is a small price to pay. We'll have annual reviews to confirm that he continues to be eligible. My support network for helping my Westley reach his fullest potential has just doubled! I look forward to the help and professional advice. Eventually I'll take part in the various support groups out there to address some of the side issues involved with raising a "special" kid. At this point it's still a very personal journey and I'm not quite ready to become an activist on the issue. I do feel like an advocate and am delighted to share my experience with anyone who is just beginning the journey for their child. All the hard work was
definitely worth it. The time spent researching, compiling information to back up my perspective, and the two documents I created that highlighted Westley's life and development were absolutely essential to the process and I have not doubt they assisted this board in making the right decision. I thank everyone who supported me along the way. I feel so very grateful right now!!! Sweet Success! Refreshing Relief!!
1 comment:
GREAT!
I've been wondering about West's progress. I recently wrote an article about local autism resource groups and I was amazed at all the help available to parents. I hope you'll find similar services there to help with West. I feel confident that its only up from here!
Post a Comment