Monday, July 7, 2008

Exhaustion. . . . .

OK, so most of us already know that motherhood is exhausting. My personal complaints in this department should be of no surprise to anyone. As I sit here right now at 2 in the afternoon, I can barely hold my head up! I want to sleep! Why not take a nap? Well, it's just simply not possible. I have two of my four sleeping right now. My other two are doing much needed chores for me. If I allow myself to sleep, they will definitely take advantage and stop their work. I'd wake to more undone chores to spend more energy getting them started working on. Even if the chores were done, I'd doubtless not find sleep possible due to noise. My nap would be frequently interrupted by the various sounds of children playing, fighting, etc and phone calls. I'd be lucky to get ten straight minutes in before I ran out of patience and gave up. I typically sit in front of the TV and drift off during one of my favorite shows. The noise of the show masks the noise of the kids. About the time that starts to work, my younger two will wake up and wake me up. It's all generally an exercise in frustration. So, what do I do? I deal with the fatigue, grump my kids in the process and look forward to my second wind about dinner time. I have no doubt this is all related to being pregnant in my mid 30s with baby number five. As they all say, this too shall pass!

No comments: