Monday, July 7, 2008

Time Travel

I've been time traveling a lot lately. It's not hard at all. Anyone can do it. Each trip last only a few fleeting moments. I think being pregnant, with the surge of hormones coupled with fatigue has brought this phenomenon about. In the blink of an eye, while driving my kids to swim lessons, I was a teen in high school driving a minivan full of little kids for the family I babysit for. When these little trips happen, it's quite amazing. It makes all the time between then and now melt away into nearly nothing. All this time has been filled by literal years and many memories and experiences. It can be melted and washed away in a fleeting moment of time travel and I can be that other younger me and feel those feelings and smell those smells and renew the old sense of wonder about my future. It's amazing how things have all turned out. As a younger me, I couldn't have pictured the current me. When I wonder about the future me, I think of taking a snap shop of now and later, the future me will travel back to this moment and feel anew the feelings of now. I trip back to a younger version of my family. The times before each of my children were born are frequented. The wonder I had as I looked into my newborns face. I wondered at their personality, unable to see it quite yet. It's surreal to be that other me for a moment and compare it to the me of now and know what I know now. Ah, life, what a trip!

No comments: