I just realized that due to my remote location and lack of available shopping places and lack of desire to drive my whole
krew the three hours it would take to get to a good shopping place, I have to do online clothing shopping this year. Not that I'm afraid of
Walmart, we do have one of those, but they don't carry the kind of clothes my kids like/need. My kids won't wear jeans. My youngest two are in school this year and they don't do zippers and snaps. It's exhausting to fill up a cart with clothes for four and try them all on everyone without any fits or episodes. I simply decided, I must measure well, and do my bargain hunting online. This unfortunately means that I must start NOW in order to give the stores time to get our purchases to us before school starts. This also means that I must go through all the clothes they currently have and be sure I'm not purchasing things they don't really need. I'll take a financial hit in the shipping department but that will likely beat the gas cost and exhaustion factor of actually going to the stores. I have found a list of stores I'd like to shop at, and printed their size charts. I will make a list of what I want to buy for each child, and check it off as I find the items. I won't make any final purchases until I've seen the best and cheapest offerings at each store. I also will have to consider what my kids like to wear. The boys are easy, they're
basically casual preppies (if that makes any sense) who like elastic waist khaki's and t-shirts. The girls are another matter. My little 3yr-old is a princess. She loves dressy fluffy clothes and a twirly dress or skirt is her favorite! She'll even resort to wearing her
petti-skirt slip with a t-shirt to get the desired effect! Everything must be very
girly and the more fluff and
bling the better. My 8yr-old is another matter entirely. She is deciding between
elegance and tom-boy. Is there such a thing as an elegant tom boy? She loves makeup and
girly hair. She likes to dress up. She also loves to be the fastest runner and most athletic. Too
girly and it gets in her way. Too tom-boy and it's unflattering.
Either way, she doesn't want to be noticed or stand out. It's shopping for her that I dread the most. These last two years of school, she'd only wear what be bought for her about once before refusing to wear it ever again. Hopefully, I'll have better luck this year. I also have a new baby boy on the way. Since he wasn't planned for, I haven't kept any hand-me-downs for him. I'll have to do a bit of shopping for him too. I admit it's fun to buy new things. It's like a bit of Christmas in the summer. I don't enjoy the cost, the exhaustive search and the wait for packages to arrive, or carrying the packages from post office to car and home. At any rate, fun or not, it's time to do it. Any delay will cause me more trouble than it's worth!
5 comments:
I'm in a similar boat about picking out school clothes - this is my first year doing it and Gabi already has a pretty firm opinion. As far as online shopping goes, I reccommend a place called www.ebates.com. They offer % off each store (popular stores like Old Navy), then they send you your savings in a nifty check. Pretty awesome if you ask me!
Good luck. You'll have to post more about what you find. I'm fascinated.
Thanks for the tip Holli! I love the modern tech that makes all this possible!
Holli, forgot to share my fav stores with you. CWDKids.com, hannaanderson.com, landsend.com, there are others, but you likely already use them. . . gap, old navy, jc penny, target, ll bean, etc. Good luck!
oh, I love your tastes in clothes.
And, have you considered a shower to prepare for the new babino?
No plans for a shower. I'd feel incredibly silly! I plan to borrow and bargain hunt and collect only the most necessary of items. This is my last baby. No need to collect all that stuff again. Definately no need to ask others to give gifts to me! There are three other pregnant women in our ward who are in greater need in that department.
Post a Comment