Saturday, September 20, 2008

Retail Nightmare Continues. . . but hopefully has a Happy Ending. . .

No, it's not over yet. I thought I'd been through the worst of the trouble with getting a working crib in my house. The second crib I ordered to scavenge spare parts for the first crib I ordered, took the full 10 business days to leave the warehouse. This past Tuesday, it finally shipped. I should have received it by Friday or Monday. Instead, I got a call from a very nice lady from Toys R Us.com informing me that the second crib had been re-routed back to the manufacturer at their request. That model crib has been RECALLED!!!!! What?!!!? That kind of explains why I got nowhere when I tried to get help from the manufacturer. The manufacturer, Simplicity, no longer exists as a company. They'd been bought out by someone else after a series of record breaking recalls that left them in financial ruin. I don't know who it was I had spoken with, the remnants of the old Simplicity or the new guys. Whoever it was, they were AWFUL!! The Toys R Us people have been great about it. I hope others dealing with a Simplicity recall have as much help from the other stores that are affected by this recall. Jackie from Toys R Us told me to pack up the first crib, someone would pick it up. She told me to pick out a new crib online and she'd call me on Thursday to get the new crib headed to me. On Wednesday, after crying a bit, I picked out not one but five new cribs. I had them in rank order of favorites. Honestly, I no longer cared about color or style. I simply wanted which ever one could get here the fastest. I called Jackie back and left a voice mail with the list of cribs and waited for her to call. I left a new voice mail for her on Thursday, explaining my sense of urgency about settling this mess. She never called me on Thursday or Friday. Today, Saturday, I finally called customer service for Toys R Us, feeling desperate by now. I don't know her name, but she was awesome. She listened to my story, patiently. She read my notes attached to the first two crib orders. She knew Jackie and informed me that Jackie had been out sick all day Thursday. It happens. She didn't have as much access as Jackie to cribs listed as out of stock online but was happy to go through my list of acceptable cribs and finalize a new order. She confirmed that the second crib I had ordered was indeed re-routed back to the manufacturer. Credit would be issued on the purchase price within 2-5 business days. The first crib I ordered was scheduled to be picked up within 3-8 business days by UPS. Credit could be issued as early as 12-24 hours after it had been picked up. I have already been credited the shipping price on both the above orders. The best news yet was that the new crib I ordered would be sent second day for free and I would receive a 15% discount on the purchase price of the new crib. YEA! We then went through my list of five options. The first two were unavailable. The third was. We put the order together and it should arrive no later than next Friday! (It ships second day after leaving the warehouse on Wednesday.) Without revealing the total cost of the third crib, I will say, I saved $160!!! Let's all pray the third crib arrives with no flaws or missing parts. I did completely avoid the Simplicity brands! LOL!

1 comment:

Holli said...

That is so crazy. I've never heard of such things... You'll have to post a picture of the final crib - once it arrives and is all set up and pristine. Then, I'll be able to let out the deep breath I've been holding.